Monday, 10 November 2008

Baghdad and Baquba bombs

Although kind of far away, we heard the bombs today from our house in Baghdad. This has lead to my grandparents/parents both banning me from going outside in the city.
That was understandable. But what isn't , is the fact that my parents cancel the trip to Baquba, and two days later, bombs explode. I know its expected, but the fact that life here is constantly on the edge is horrible in the least. I'm suprised the nation as a whole is not on drugs.
As well as that the normality of this situation is what annoys me the most. People who go to bed at night worrying about money, what they will do tomorrow really cannot appreciate the feel of life here.
After the sound of explosions, people will usually look up upwards, mutter something, then resume what they are doing. Now I know this approach is better than mass hysteria, but the loss of life here has been taken as an everyday occurence. And that is what causes me heartbreak.
Another thing that annoys me to no bounds is some of my 'friends' from abroad:
'friend': " yeah, but you have to admit, its better now than in Saddam's time", to this statement, I cannot help but reply:
"a) neither me or you truly knew iraq in saddam's time so how can you judge? I was a child and you were in a different country.
b) how the hell do you know its better now? Drag your ass to baghdad and tell me exactly how better it is.
You idiot"
Of course, this approach and answer has not increased my 'coolness' or popularity at all. Oh well.

4 comments:

pepe said...

certainly your friends didn't lose loved ones due to the war and probably were personally benefited in some way by the whole situation.

touta said...

'personally benefited'. lol. how has poltics ever benefited anyone?

pepe said...

if you are an iraqi politician you can give yourself a two month vacation:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/04/iraqi_parliamen.html

touta said...

I can't help but say: what iraqi parliament? :D
On a more serious note, the deBa'athification of 'iraqistan' is indeed an issue...never mind the corrupt government, the fact that half the population is missing, and cities are gang controlled..the important thing is to use long words.
Absolutley nothing has been done here for the people.
:) rant over and out.