Wednesday, 18 February 2009

I think i love you

Oh how I love you so..My darling my heart aches for you...I've even written you a song.

Ladies and Gentlemen, cast your eyes down and read the translation of a poignant iraqi love song...This is Romance-iraqi style. (Okay, really it isn't.)


Al Bortaqala Lyrics Translation (the orange)

Yal Bortaqala athabtee hala-the orange, you've tortured his situation

yal bortaqala yal bortaqala -the orange, the orange

imalaga wa tizheen-hanging and glorious

imalaga wa tizheen-hanging and glorious

athabtee hala-you've tortured his situation

athabtee hala-you've tortured his soul

shilich ala ib ilnaas-what have you got to do with the son of the people

shilich ala ib ilnaas-what have you got to do with the son of the people

athabtee hala-you've tortured his situation


[chorus]
yal bortaqala-the orange

yal bortaqala-the orange

imaliga wa tizheen-hanging and glorious

imalaga wa tizheen-hanging and glorious

athabtee hala-you've tortured his state

athabtee hala-you've tortured his state

shilich ala ib il naas-what have you got to do with the son of the people

shilich ala ib il naas-what have you got to do with the son of the people

athabtee hala-you've tortured his state

aha aha aha aha




inta ahla min gheeer-you're prettier than others

inta ahla min gheer-you're prettier than others

min wajih ya mahla -the face, theres no prettier

il wajih ya mahla-the face, there's no prettier

al shifa warat-the lips like rose buds

alshifa warat-the lips like rose buds

kul il warid bil koun-all the flowers in the world

kul al warid-all the flowers

al shifa warat-the lips like rose buds




[chorus]




dool il leilee-through the nights

dool il leilee-through the nights

sahrana afakir beech-i am awake thinking of you

sahrana afakir beech-i am awake thinking of you

bas roohmee halee -just have mercy on my state

bas roohmee halee-just have mercy on my state

ya hilwat il hilwaat- oh sweetest of the sweet

ya hilwat il hilwaat-oh sweetest of the sweet

bas roohmee halee- just have mercy on my state


[chorus]


mithal ilghazala- like a gazelle

mithal ilghazala- like a gazelle

imkhalah il eineen -she's kohled both her eyes

imkhalah- kohled

hal bortaqala -this orange

hal bortaqala- this orange

hayarat kil il naas- she's confused all the people

hayarat kil il naas-she's confused all the people

hal bortaqala- this orange


[chorus]


Now comes my commentary. All I have to say is see...its not that rude, the lyrics are generally okay, but i got the distinct idea that the singer must be an idiot to insist on repeating each line twice. But maybe I'm biased, because the music video made me cringe with horror as now iraqi girls cannot at all have one item of orange in their wardrobe in fear of being sang the song, as they walk down the streets-and trust me this is not just in Iraq.

As well as this, the singer is creepy. Too creepy. Look up Alaa Saad on google images, and you'll see what I mean. I physically shuddered at the video, but you simply cannot drag your eyes away, as you gape open mouthed at the almost angry dance movements.

Some iraqis were outraged. 'It doesn't represent the iraqi way of life, and our women do not dress or dance like that'.

Allow me to clear it up. Iraqis claimed that those were gypsies-a big insult iraqi-wise-and some of the girls probably weren't even Iraqi. Well, walk the shops, and you will most probably find clothes and dresses like the girls wear in the video, and yes, people do buy it. But it is always worn amongst female only parties, were islamically it is allowed to show that much skin as it were.

Point two, the dancing. It does exist. And, I am not talking about the fact that such dancing exists in those exclusive night clubs-the one that i get angry every time I pass. (These baghdad nightclubs are found in the corners of streets, exclusive to spoilt wealthy sons of officials, who swagger around, too pathetic to do anything else) This dancing is a village type of dancing. In all the female parties i have been to in Baghdad, the dancing is different to the video.

But anyone been to a village recently? No? Well, thing is, I distinctly remember the type of dancing at the party held for our arrival back to Diyala. Of course, male and female were separated. The women churn out their own music, and usually it was the older women who sat and sang and made the music, but the style of dance was ermm..kind of similiarish to the video one.

So, all in all, Alaa Saad....why? For the love of Mirinda why?!

20 comments:

C.H. said...

LOL!!

I had no idea that Baghdad had this kind of nightlife, Touta...nor did I know you knew so much about it. Hmmm...maybe this explains why you enjoy staying up until the very early hours of the morning :)

How can any of us believe you now when you talk about looking for Universities...you are probably just going out to party ;)

As for the song...hmmm, interesting lyrics. I haven't googled the singer yet though!

JG said...

Ah... The fun never stops! lol

Are you sure he's not one of Maliki's henchmen? :))

http://cdn.myxertones.com/tn/a/13829462/big/?t=20080926152620

It's amazing that some people are annoyed about it. I mean, it's women dancing with women and they're wearing full-length dresses!!

I distinctly remember the type of dancing at the party held for our arrival back to Diyala. Of course, male and female were separated.

What do you mean separated? The women got up to dance and the men got up afterwards?

JG said...

Corey and I have a habit of posting at exactly the same time! ;)

Touta said...

CH,
its the 'bad' nightlife...but its stupid to pretend that it doesn't exist.
and parrtaaayy is a perfectly reasonable way of releasing stress.
you need to google the singer..just to get a feel for the song...

JG,
hahaha, you should have heard the denials lol. It went something like "those women aren't iraqi", but I'm just annoyed now, that orange has been ruled out of what colours I can wear...the whole all black thing now seems to be an interesting option lol. :D
and hahahahah, the women and men are separated in different rooms. :) not different dance times. ;)

C.H. said...

Yes JG, this is all a conspiracy to upstage me when I write comments, isn't it? :)

JG said...

CH - LOL! Yep, you got me!

Touta,

Men and women in different rooms at a party seems so bizarre to me. I was at a couple of parties in Bethlehem last year and everyone was up dancing together. Damn good dancers too, I felt like a fool beside them! I guess it's a bit more conservative in Iraq, but was it always that way?

Iraqis claimed that those were gypsies-a big insult iraqi-wise-and some of the girls probably weren't even Iraqi.

I feel sorry for the gypsies. They seem to get a tough time everywhere. Ireland is no exception, btw.

C.H. said...

"Was it always that way?"

I don't know JG...I know that Uday Hussein loved to go out partying in his Bentley though.

hhhh...nightlife in Ireland is certainly nothing like it is in Iraq, that's for sure. I hit three different pubs one night when I went to Dublin!

C.H. said...

"Men and women in different rooms at a party seems so bizarre to me."

Bizarre is an understatement, lol

JG said...

CH,

Well... what Uday used to do is neither here nor there. I'm just curious to know whether or not societal norms have changed (ie become more conservative) post-2003. I'm not trying to make a political point, I'm just curious. Syria is very secular, as is the West Bank, a fact that challenges the assumption that every country with a Muslim majority has to some kind of repressive theocracy.

Dublin is fun. There are some very old pubs with lots of character (and characters!)and lots of good live music if you know where to find it.

A lot of the pubs/clubs here are not really my scene but I have a few regular spots that I can't keep away from! ;)

Touta said...

Saddam's dead, Uday's dead, and it doesn't really matter now.
As for the party thing..well, in some graduation parties, all the youth dance chobi or something together, but usually if the rooms are not separated, everyone is too embarrassed to dance, and then after the war the whole religiousness thing came into play.
You might also be suprised to know that in the arab parties in the UK, male and female were sometimes separated too, if the girls wanted to dance. Different country same rules- religion that is.

JG said...

That's interesting, Touta.

I remember when I started going to discos when I was about 13 or 14. All the guys were hanging around one side of the room and all the girls at the other side.

Each group was too shy to dance or even converse with the others, but as the night went on everybody would relax and dance together.

I guess the culture in Iraq is just VERY different.

C.H. said...

Touta, I looked up an image of the singer...

Are you sure you wouldn't accept an invitation to dance if he came up to you and offered you a rose?

Just kidding ;-)

nadia said...

Yeah I was in California and even there somebody was freaking ranting about Gypsies, it is amazing how much people hate them, let's not even start on how they are treated in Italy.

Orange is one of my favourite colours:/

dave said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r96JOwb3P5U Lets be honest we all want to compliment Alaa Saad on his respectably trimmed beard.... The guy does seem to do more wardrobe changes than Kylie Minogue. I liked the head banging from some of the ladies though, I think you could dub some heavy metal over it and it would work.

Michomeme said...

Touta, can you imagin our wedding and engagement parties without these kinds of songs?
I know it not that good, it is for the nightlife more than for family party, and it has silly lyrics with no meaning but it makes you dance, right?

Touta said...

JG,
whole east and west divide right? but really people want the same things wherever they are. :D

CH,
look at the video,on gooogle images, he looks like someone has done magic on him. Photo editing. pfft.

Nadia,
i like to call myself a gypsie from time to time, and i like orange to, but thanks to this song, cannot wear it now. *sigh* :D

Dave,
hhhhhhhhhhh, lol, never looked at it that way, but you're right...head banging. hahaha, yup, that is a pretty good description of what it is. :)

Michomeme,
It does have silly lyrics that make no sense, but you are absolutley right...it is for dancing. :)

Lynnette In Minnesota said...

Ummm...I looked at one of the videos. So, what's with all that hair flipping stuff?

As well as this, the singer is creepy.

A little out of shape too. lol! Maybe he should be looking into a personal trainer...

Touta said...

Lynnette,
Dave's got the right link,and the hair flipping thing is usually just restricted to village girls, or 'gypsies', its supposed to be sexy, and at a party, i remember a 50 year old woman telling me to do it, while i stared blankly getting whipped in the face by her flailing hair.
At the beginning of the video, when he's wearing a red shirt, look at how he looks at her..trying to look handsome..its one of the most creepiest things I have ever seen...i can't get the image out of my head..*shudder*

Lynnette In Minnesota said...

Ahhhh, now I see what Dave means by the wardrobe changes. lol! I kind of like the blue shirt.

The video I saw was this one. As you can see, the ladies really get into that hair flinging thing. In unison, no less. You wouldn't want to get too close or you may end up whipped across the room. :P

its one of the most creepiest things I have ever seen

He doesn't do much better in that video I saw, either. :(

Touta said...

that video is called "the apple",,,you can tell this guy only has one thing on his mind.....Food!! hahahaha.

Whipped across the room...like you'd be able to make it that far...lol...more like whipped across the country. Real rock headbanging going on here...forget that acrassee thing..this is true iraqi rock. lol