Saturday, 17 October 2009

Arab Association (part 1?)

It was one of those old rotting red building which look gothicy, but actually look really good when you compare them with the blocks and straight lines of houses everywhere else. The constant spitting rain and grey clouds lulled me back into sleepiness. I spent the next few hours wondering why my need for self gratification through charity had over ruled my need for sleep.

Walking in, I had no other thought other than the fact that i was late but i was the first one there. Its a course which teaches first aid etc with an emphasis of all charity work we do during the course being directed at helping the hornets nest of woes that is the middle east. Am I cursing the middle east and the grandfathers and uncles of the middle east for making my life so tiring? Yes,i am.

We're taken to a room where we can sit down, and the seating arrangement is around a large circular desk.
Everyone sits down, and i can almost laugh if it wasn't all so ironic.
at one side of the circle sit-
-emiratis (2 girls with bright coloured jilbabs flicking manicured nails left, right and center);
-saudi(a guy wearing sunglasses indoors);
-kuwaiti (2 guys with wackiest hair sticking out at unnatural angles).
Followed by
-egyptian (vodka lover);
-jordanian(2 guys swearing extensively).
Somewhere in the middle of the circle is us 3 iraqis..(me, long haired tattoo guy,sad poems girl), then next to us on the other side sits ;
-the palestinians(a newly wed woman, a gangsta palestinian);
-syrian (talked about UN and tibet);
-and lebanese(sport addict and said he 'loves girls').

For the next half an hour, everyone's busy talking.I and poem iraqi girl end up listening to iraqi guy showing off his large and bold black tattoo spiraling down his arm. (Well done, you have a tattoo. You're so bad and such a rebel. Oh you're so cool). After my mental sarcasm, i couldn't help telling him my granny had more tattoos than him.
He then proceeds to show us; his earrings (which one do you prefer? he asks us..), and his necklace, which he tells us he never takes off. For some reason, i wanted to move his necklace to see if it had become glued to his skin by some chance.

The organiser threatens us all that we're going to be placed in random groups next time. Clearly someone's unhappy of the way we all huddled into gangs.

That really wasn't worth me waking up early for. I can't help but wonder how the conversations going to go when politics come up. I'm going to stick to the 'why can't we all love each other and live in peace' phrase, and hope everyone gets bored enough to never talk to me again.

6 comments:

JG said...

After my mental sarcasm, i couldn't help telling him my granny had more tattoos than him

LOL! ;)

attawie said...

I feel your pain and "bored to the bone" sort of feelings. Yes, stick to that phrase and hopefully no one would dare to bug you.

the way you described the gang is very vivid to me. I feel like i'm looking at you. all the best dear with what you're doing :) tc

programmer craig said...

I can't help but wonder how the conversations going to go when politics come up. I'm going to stick to the 'why can't we all love each other and live in peace' phrase, and hope everyone gets bored enough to never talk to me again.

Clever girl :)

Lynnette In Minnesota said...

I'm going to stick to the 'why can't we all love each other and live in peace' phrase, and hope everyone gets bored enough to never talk to me again.

I tried a variation of that phrase on Bruno once. Didn't work, he still talked to me. *sigh*

JG said...

^

LOL!

Touta said...

hehehe,

i've got nothing to lose if i try it.

...there hasnt been any other suggestions, so i'll just act as mean as possible. :D