Friday, 20 July 2012

Sectarian Shame

I found it horrendous at first, when listening to my Iraqi comrades. They would inform me of the Bahrain atrocities. When I would add I hoped the best for Bahrainis, and the Syrian people, their heads would shake solemnly.

Phrases such as don't believe the TV/media, for it was all controlled by [insert suitable conspiracy group here]. Really the Syrian government was great, and there was no bad guys there.
Double standards make my blood boil.

The reason, Iraqis home and abroad, backed the Syrian Regime, was quite a simple one. The Government was a Shia based sect. Admittedly, it's not the same sect exactly, but hate blinds those gifted with eyes. My reasoning fell on deaf ears.

Woe this tribal mentality. It stretches to even international matters, over-riding even the humanitarian instinct! To that extent? It's scary, if these poisoned thoughts will trickle down the generations. I really hope it won't.

If the Sunni majority do end up taking power in Syria, certain Iraqis (the Army General types) have made it heard on the 'down-low' that this may not bode well for Iraq as a country.
   The new Syrian power may provide a spine for the people of Sunni dominated governates & cities to rise and either carry out attacks against the current Iraqi government, or push for a Sunni State.
       And thus separation would occur,with separate Kurdish, Shia and Sunni States. (Sorry Iraqi Assyrians,Christians, Mandeans, Sabeans, Syriac,Turkoman,Yazidis etc if you try really hard, you can get a small piece of land too).

I itched for someone to point out that this was all assumptions. Why are our eyes on our neighbours back yards, when our own gardens are overgrown jungles, festering with pests and weeds?
  It's sadly because we have fallen into a 'my family' mentality yet again. We can all regress back to our tribal ways.Why pretend it is otherwise? Even the international world can see through our transparent veil.

Many have forgotten the value of human life. It is that, which should be placed above blindly backing 'our group'. I couldn't say anything.I'd already made one of the guests start shouting, if I'd want to be present again, I had to make sure I spent the rest of the evening smiling and batting my eyelashes.

3 comments:

jnana said...

*Claps*
The double standards makes my blood boil too, and both sides are equally guilty. There are those who support the oppressed everywhere and turn a blind eye to the blood that is spilled in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. And then there are those who fight oppression but somehow stop when it comes to Syria.

When will we stop looking at people with labels?

Touta said...

jnana,
you're absolutely right..life is life regardless of label, though I think its human nature, which cannot be changed.

Only solution is try to point it out :)

Mezraab said...

Hypocrisy is, guarding with cunning ones own misconstrued sense of social/political/moral/economical/intellectual space, while attempting to intrude into other's at the same time. This has been made possible and to a large extent acceptable to the global community, by giving currency to the vile intelligence called diplomacy, which is nothing but a polite political slur.

its a double jeopardy, wherein we are being cheated both in price as well in goods, still we enjoy it. as long as the package is home delivered. Gotta move our feet..!

Gratitude for bringing this up yet again.