Monday, 6 August 2012

Colonization

So much to write, so much learned!

The driver and I have got into yet another verbal scrabble. Travel weary, and slowly sinking due to the heat, I continue my conversation with the driver. He asks, and I answer, though my throat is bone dry.
   A knock on the window interrupts the hacked sentences exchanged between us. A boy, or was it a young man? I cease to be able to tell their ages anymore. The driver buys the customary chewing gum and the glass starts to scale slowly upwards.

'I say, please give him this'.
'Give it to him yourself'. He replies, looking up at the rear view mirror.
      I angrily open the door, to look for the man-boy. He is long gone, my regret and anger meaning I spend the rest of a day in a sombre mood. I never realised how far the gap between social classes is becoming. The crack is becoming filled with mere children.

The driver tells my mother I need to learn how to control my 'natra', or temper. 'No man can put up with that'. Somehow I end up giggling at that, and try to hide it amongst ill-placed coughs.
 I try to seek solace in speaking with my Grandfather. He asks me what I've learnt. I excitedly tell him all I've seen, and the use it can present.
Smiling, he asks me if I've found my expiration date stamped somewhere. 'There's no need to rush life'.

8 comments:

Violet said...

Yes , Touta gap is so deep

there are families in Iraq can't find mere bread on Iftar
are you in Iraq now ?

hyperCRYPTICal said...

As usual, wonderful writing Touta.

You have the ability, the talent, to say so much in so few words.

Anna :o]

jnana said...

^Agreed

Mezraab said...

hard hitting, i don't know how you do what you do, but keep doing as long as it undoes the ugly rut...

so very true, that, 'there is no need to rush life', it is its own hurried fullstop, waiting for the next punctuation...

hats off!!

Touta said...

violet,
so glad to see you around again! How is Mosul? I'm not in Baghdad, closer to you :p
Hope you have a wonderful eid :)

Anna,
Thank you kindly! I hope your summer has been filled with lazyness and relaxation? :)

Jnana,
Shokran :D

Mezraab,
I keep trying to find ways to slow the passing of time... There is never as enough minutes and hours as I hope for!!
Thank you warmly and best wishes :)

Sandybelle said...

"There's no need to rush life" , so true!!

Miss you toutati

Zeba said...

You have a way with words..

Touta said...

sandybelle,
i hope you're enjoying the slow rush of life too, hayati! :)

Zeba,
Thank you, you humble me. :)